Pearl House, Bay Harbor Islands
The Islands of Bay Harbor grew from the foresight of Shepard Broad, who came to America from Pinsk, Russia in 1920.
In 1945 Broad acquired two undeveloped mangrove swamp islands, located between the beach Barrier Island and mainland North Miami. With his own funds and with down payments on the sale of lots, Shepard Broad filled in the islands and watched as Bay Harbor began to spring up. He was joined in the venture by a prominent businessman, the late Benjamin N. Kane, for whom the Town’s main thoroughfare was named.